If you are facing an unexpected pregnancy and considering adoption as an option, FIA can help. Regardless of your decision, YOU will be treated with kindness and respect.
Who is FIA
Friends in Adoption (FIA) is a licensed adoption agency founded by an adoptive mother who saw that the many needs of birth parents and adoptive families were not being met in adoption situations.
FIA is a non-profit, non-traditional, licensed adoption agency whose goal is to help people make informed decisions. FIA works with both those interested in adopting and with pregnant women/couples considering placing their baby with adoptive families.
Unlike other adoption agencies, FIA is committed to equality in adoption. This means, among other things, that we do not discriminate based on marital status, religion, ethnicity, race or sexual orientation.
Pregnant women have choices in adoption
If a pregnant woman decides on adoption for her baby, she has choices. This makes each adoption process unique and personal. Every adoption plan is different.
If you decide to make an adoption plan with Friends in Adoption, you will be offered the opportunity to make the following choices:
- You can choose to keep your pregnancy and adoption plan completely confidential, or you may want to share with a family member or a friend.
- You can select an adoptive family for your baby.
- You can decide whether to speak with or meet your child’s adoptive family.
- You can choose to invite the adoptive family to become involved during the pregnancy.
- You can choose to spend time with the baby at the hospital and also choose if you want the adoptive family to do the same.
- You can opt to receive information about your child as he/she grows, through letters and pictures, occasional visits, email, etc.
Help with living expenses is available for pregnant women considering adoption
Friends in Adoption is committed to providing pregnant women or pregnant couples with adoption information, legal advice and counseling during and after pregnancy. FIA’s services are completely free for pregnant women and/or pregnant couples.
“Because of my personal situation, I needed help with living arrangements. Friends In Adoption did locate a place where I could stay that was central to my doctor’s office, shopping and other locations that I would need access to. The agency is the best source of how the financial peace or legal aspect of paying for my room and board as well as other expenses.” (From Heidi – A Birth Mother)
Friends in Adoption offers free legal services and financial assistance with medical and living expenses, as the law allows.