Five Reasons Why We Chose Open Adoption
- When she looks in the mirror, we want our daughter to know herself. It’s hard to face the world when you don’t know where your face came from.
- We didn’t want our daughter to have the cabbage patch mentality. The truth is, her life didn’t start the day we adopted her. Like us, her history and ours began a thousand lifetimes ago.
- We believe in a birthmother’s right to choose, if she has the courage to place, she has the wisdom and right to choose her child’s parents. Our daughter’s birthmother is her first Mother.
- We wanted to do a domestic open adoption so our daughter could know her birth family. Our daughter’s birthmother chose not to abort her, how could we abort our daughter’s relationship with her birth family.
- We both have family members and friends who are products of closed adoption. These people are still suffering the adverse effects that their denied birthright has caused them. We didn’t want this for our daughter.
Debbie Weeks – adoptive parent