There are many adoption agencies out there, and it can be confusing. The most important thing to consider is finding qualified professionals that you can trust, who will give you information without pressure and who will respect your individual needs. FIA is a non-profit, licensed agency that employs experienced adoption professionals.
Whether you are a woman/couple considering placement of your child with an adoptive family or a prospective adoptive family hoping to adopt a child/children, FIA will treat you with kindness, compassion and dignity while guiding you through the adoption process, so that you can make the best decision for you and for your child.
Things to look for:
- Licensed agencies have to meet requirements set by child welfare and government organizations. The organizations that grant licensing have oversight over agencies to be sure that laws are followed and that the child’s best interests are served. Adoption laws vary from state to state, and licensed agencies are held accountable to follow regulations.
- Ethical agencies will acknowledge that expectant parents have other choices as they consider adoption. including parenting and abortion, and they will respect individuals’ decision-making throughout the process.
- Licensed agencies must thoroughly screen and prepare adoptive parents. Friends in Adoption gets to know all its families personally, and makes sure, along with the home study social worker, that each family is prepared to adopt.
- Ethical agencies are non-profit, tax-exempt organizations. Being a tax-exempt organization means that the agency is not trying to make a profit from adoption process, and it must submit proof to the government to have not-for-profit, 501(c)3, status.
- Reputable agencies do not allow adoptive parents to have a preference for one gender or another, and FIA does not allow for this kind of preference to be made.
- Good adoption agencies will provide pregnant women and couples with counseling by licensed social workers and counselors, and will also provide access to free and independent legal advice, apart from agency counsel.
Adoption is a voluntary process, and should be free of pressure by the agency. Friends in Adoption is a licensed agency and has been providing ethical adoption services for more than 30 years! Read more about what you can expect from Friends in Adoption, here.